See below ingredients and instructions of the low carb recipe
Note: This is a whole grain-like bun, that rises higher than the original Atkins' (and stays
puffed on cooling), has a nice "cracked wheat" texture, slices in half (for burgers)
without disintegrating, and very nice flavor, not so eggy.
3 eggs, room temperature, separated
1/4 tsp cream of tartar
3 Tbsp ricotta cheese
1 Tbsp soy flour
1 Tbsp vital wheat gluten
3 Tbsp wheat bran
2 Tbsp flax meal
1 tsp baking powder
2 - 3 Tbsp water
- Preheat oven to 500 F.
- Sprinkle cream of tartar over egg whites, set aside.
- Blend yolks, ricotta, soy flour, vital wheat gluten, bran and flax meal. Add a couple
Tbsp water to "lighten" the batter a little, then stir in baking powder.
- Beat egg whites until stiff, then gently and quickly fold in the yolk mixture. Don't worry if
there are a few streaks of white ... you don't want to break down the fluffy whites and
end up with runny batter.
- Make 6 buns by mounding spoonfuls of the mixture on top of one another on a
greased baking sheet
- Place in hot oven; immediately reduce heat to 300 F. Bake for 20 min. Then, reduce
heat to 250 F and bake for another 20 min. Buns should be glossy, golden and firm to
- Cool on a rack completely, before storing in airtight container.