See below ingredients and instructions of the recipe
4 oz Stick butter; softened 1/2 ts Baking soda
1 1/4 c Granulated sugar 1/3 c Milk
1 ts Vanilla extract 1/2 c Blanched almonds
4 Eggs; separated -- sliced
Dash salt 1 1/2 c Heavy cream
1/3 c Unsweetened cocoa 2 tb Powdered sugar
Powder 1 pt Strawberries, fresh
1 c Flour -- sliced
1 ts Baking powder
Recipe by: 365 Great Chocolate Desserts - ISBN 0-06-016537-5
Preparation Time: 1:00
1. Preheat oven to 325°F. Grease two 9-inch round cake pans and dust
with flour; tap out excess.
2. In a medium bowl, beat together butter, 1/2 cup granulated sugar,
vanilla, egg yolks, and salt with an electric mixer on medium speed
until light and fluffy, about 2 to 3 mins. Add cocoa and beat until
well blended. Sift together flour with baking powder and baking soda.
Add to chocolate mixture alternately with milk. Beat just till
combined. Divide batter evenly between prepared pans and smooth tops.
3. In a medium bowl, beat egg whites with an electric mixer with
clean, dry beaters on medium speed until foamy. Gradually add
remaining 3/4 cup granulated sugar and beat with mixer on high speed
until stiff peaks form. Divide meringue between 2 pans, carefully
spreading evenly over cake batter. Sprinkle almonds on top.
4. Bake 30 to 32 mins, or until golden brown. Let cakes cool 5 to 10
mins in pans, then unmold onto racks, meringue side up, and let cool
5. In a medium bowl, beat together heavy cream and powdered sugar
with an electric mixer on high until stiff.
6. To assemble cake, place one cake layer, meringue side down, on a
serving plate. Cover with 2/3 of whipped cream and top with strawberry
slices. place remaining cake layer, meringue side up, on top of
strawberries. Frost side of cake with remaining whipped cream.
Refrigerate at least 1 hour before serving. Cake is best prepared and
served within a day of baking.