"Wolfgang Puck recipe - Discover how to cook the celebrity chef recipe. Hearty beef stew with carrots, potatoes, onions and mushrooms slowly simmered in Guinness and a brown gravy. I am so excited for fall! Mostly because I get to make and share recipes like this!"
Recipe by: wolfgang-puck
Rate this recipe (1 votes)
406 people have saved this recipe
? 2 pounds stewing beef
? 3 tablespoons vegetable oil, divided
? 2 tablespoons flour
? 3 teaspoons salt
? 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
? Pinch of cayenne
? 1 large onion, coarsely chopped
? 2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
? 6 garlic cloves, crushed
? 2 tablespoons tomato paste, dissolved in 4 tablespoons water
? 2 bottles of Guinness
? 1/2 bag of baby carrots
? 4 potatoes cut into chunks
? 2 bay leaves
? Sprig of fresh thyme
? Chopped parsley, for garnish
1. Trim the meat of any fat or gristle, and cut into 2-inch cubes. Place in large bowl and toss beef with 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil. In a small bowl, combine flour, salt, pepper and cayenne. Sprinkle flour mixture onto meat and toss together.
2. In a large skillet over high heat, heat remaining 2 tablespoons vegetable oil. Brown the meat on all sides. Reduce the heat, add the onions, crushed garlic and tomato paste to the skillet, cover, and cook gently for 5 minutes.
3. Transfer the contents of the skillet to a large pot and pour one bottle of Guinness into the skillet. Bring Guinness to a boil and stir to dissolve the caramelized meat juices on the pan.
4. Pour over the meat, along with the one more bottle of Guinness. Add the carrots, mushrooms, potatoes, bay leaves and thyme. Stir and adjust seasonings.
5. Cover the pot and simmer over low heat until the meat is tender, about 2 to 3 hours. Garnish with parsley and serve.